Wednesday, April 20, 2011

what I did right

So, I had the most awesome cooperating teacher.  Kathleen Wilt.  She taught me so much, and was truly instrumental in making me the teacher that I am today.  (Of course, some might argue that her influence wasn't a good thing, looking at the teacher I am today).  However, one of the things she taught me was to think about what I did right.  At the end of every day, she would ask me to list of three things that I did correctly.  You have NO idea how hard this is.  Seriously.  Try it.  Right now.  What did you do correctly today?
See?  It's hard.

The first few times I came up with things like, "Well, I didn't mortally wound anybody.  I remembered to put my pants on.  I didn't trip over the overhead cord."  This last one was prompted by actual tripping over said cord the week before.  But those weren't good enough.  See, her reasoning behind this exercise is that most days, we spend 99% of the day doing things right, and 1% of the day making gaffs.  But most of us then spend a disporportionate amount of time obsessing over that overhead cord induced wipeout.  Her theory is that if we recognize what we did right, we ar emore apt to repeat what we did right, and if we emphasize what we did wrong, well, then, the same thing goes.  Hence, wouldn't it make more sense to recognize those good things we did?

Okay.  That said.  Yesterday:  What I did correctly:  1) I walked away before I lost it.  2) I went for a walk when I couldn't stop crying.  3) I hugged and loved my dog when the tears threatened again.  4)  I went to the batting cages.  5)  I thanked my 6th period class for being such an awesome way for me to end my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment